When it comes to your child’s teeth, most parents want them to last without pricey dental services. It is ingrained that they need to brush at least twice a day both in the morning and before bed, as well as flossing and mouthwash rinse to maintain healthy teeth and gums. There are other elements to ensure teeth are protected into adulthood and that includes avoiding cracking any teeth. Cracked teeth can be painful, pricey to repair, and even impact self-confidence. At a young age, protecting kids’ teeth from cracks and chips should be taught. With this in mind, we at Smile Reef would like to recommend ways to help your kids avoid cracking their teeth.
What Causes Teeth to Crack Easily?
1) Avoid chewing hard food. Foods like un-popped popcorn, hard beef jerky, hard candies, and other options like ice. Cautiously eat the for the stone fruits. Though peaches may be soft, if you bite hard into the stone, you could damage a tooth. Make sure you teach the little ones to be careful when they do opt to eat the riskier foods.
2) Wear mouth guards during physical activities. In any physical activity where your mouth can be hit, it is essential to protect teeth while engaging in these hazardous activities. For football and soccer, most parents require their child to wear a mouthguard. Other sports like gymnastics and skiing can be just as dangerous, however. Just like putting on their seatbelt, your kids will get into the habit.
3) Teeth are not a tool. It is important that you teach the little ones not to use their teeth as a tool. Start by setting a good example by not ripping off tags with your teeth, using a nutcracker for nuts, or using teeth to tear through bags for instance. It can cost hundreds of dollars to ensure your child’s quality dental crown if it gets cracked.
4) Break teeth grinding. Resulting in a cracked tooth, grinding your teeth is detrimental. You can get a consultation with your child’s dentist for a solution if your child is a tooth grinder. With a variety of techniques, teeth grinding can be treated. It is never good to ignore teeth grinding. Teeth grinding can cause chronic head or jaw pain.
5) Routine dental checkups. Be certain you schedule your children’s dental appointment for routine check-ups and cleanings. With the dental checkups, the experts can alert you to conditions that might predispose your child to cracked teeth. An uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth can be included in the possibilities. Tiny cracks you are not aware of may also be discovered. Before further damage or decay occurs, these cracks can then be repaired.
Should your child already have a cracked tooth, do not stress too much about it. Whether they are small or large cracks, your child’s dentist will have a solution. Some of the treatments used to repair damaged teeth include cosmetic dental bonding, veneers, inlays/onlays, fillings, and dental crowns. When it comes your child’s dental services in the Las Vegas Valley, call the professionals of Smile Reef and let our friendly staff make an appointment.