For most people, when they think of braces, they are thinking about middle school and high school kids. However, it is important to know that orthodontists and dentists are seeing that there are great benefits that come from having a child see an orthodontist much sooner than that. For most kids, it is beneficial for them to see an orthodontist no later than seven years old. Smile Reef is here to talk about why dentists are referring children to an orthodontist by the age of seven and the benefits that can come from doing so.
Why Your Child Should See an Orthodontist by the Age of 7
For many kids, their orthodontic and oral care isn’t cut and dry. For every patient it is different. Oral care can be complex, and this includes orthodontic treatment. Following are some of the major reasons that a dentist often refers your child to an orthodontist so young.
– It is impossible to see what problems lie ahead for your child and their teeth without consulting with an orthodontist. An orthodontist can often spot small problems before all baby teeth have been lost.
– Even if you look at your child’s teeth and they are seemingly straight, there could still be issues present that an orthodontist can correct to give them optimal oral health throughout their life.
– Sometimes, you may see an orthodontist and find out that your child’s bite is okay, but that further monitoring needs to happen as teeth start to come and shift other teeth around. Sometimes, this can lead to treatment down the road and other times your child won’t need any orthodontic care. Other children may need to have treatment done much earlier and seeing an orthodontist early can get that ball rolling.
– When certain problems are treated early, it makes later treatment much less complicated and complex. This includes problems that are much more difficult when the face and jaw have finished growing.
– Seeing an orthodontist early can help your child correct bad oral habits, guide the jaw as it grows, guide permanent teeth into better positioning as they come in and lower the risk of trauma to protruded teeth.
– This gives your child his/her best chance at a beautiful smile when all permanent teeth have finally come in.
If you have a child that could have some issues with their bite or teeth that are crooked, you can count on Smile Reef to know exactly when the best time is to refer them to an orthodontist. At Smile Reef, it is our goal to help your child have optimal oral health. We will walk them through the right brushing techniques and offer a long list of dental services that include dental cleaning and checkups to make sure that your child is on the right path to oral health. Call us today!