Many kids get braces to improve the look of their teeth as well as their bite. Getting braces is a huge milestone that many kids go through. When your child has braces, caring for their teeth is going to look different than it did before braces. It’s important to understand what needs to be done to care for your child’s teeth so they don’t experience any dental issues while their braces are on. Smile Reef is here to share some tips to ensure your child’s teeth are cared for properly while having braces.
How Do You Take Care of Your Teeth while Wearing Braces?
One of the main goals of putting braces on your child’s teeth is improve oral health. Hygiene is going to look different for kids with braces. Following are some tips that will ensure your child’s teeth are healthy while wearing braces:
– Brush Teeth Regularly: It has never been so important to brush your teeth regularly than it is when you are wearing braces. It is vital that your child is brushing their teeth twice a day for two minutes to clean them completely. You should also choose a toothpaste with fluoride in it to add a layer of protection for your teeth.
– Use Floss & Mouthwash: There is no way to get into all the cracks and crevices of your teeth with your toothbrush alone. You need the help of floss and mouthwash to completely clean your teeth. Flossing is going to take some extra time with braces, but it is something you don’t want to skip. That is how cavities get started.
– Utilize a Water Pik: You can completely replace flossing with a water pik, but it can definitely help ensure your teeth are getting properly cleaned while wearing braces. Sometimes, your gums can become quite swollen when braces are on the teeth. A water pik can get under the swollen gums to remove any food or bacteria that could be hiding there.
– Don’t Forget a Mirror: When you have braces, using a mirror to help you get your teeth truly cleaned can be beneficial. You might be able to see stubborn pieces of food that would have been missed otherwise. Encourage your child to use a mirror after they clean their teeth to make sure they didn’t miss anything.
– Eat the Right Foods: There will be some foods that you should avoid when you have braces on your teeth. They should avoid things like gum, popcorn, hard or crunchy foods, hard fruits, and meat on the bone. This can help ensure their brackets don’t break off the teeth.
If your child has braces and you aren’t sure how to take care of them, you can get all the tips you need in a visit with the pediatric dentists as Smile Reef. We will help navigate your child through their time with braces and help ensure they have a healthy mouth during that time. Call us today!