Teeth cleaning is a common and basic procedure that provides several benefits no matter how young you are. Most pediatric dental visits include exams and some include teeth cleaning to help ensure oral health and prevent decay and other problems. For those who don’t know the many benefits of teeth cleaning, Smile Reef will share some of them.
Importance of Teeth Cleaning
1. Prevent Cavities – Plaque is one of the leading causes of tooth decay. It is an acidic film that builds up on teeth and eats away tooth enamel. Without the protection of enamel, cavities will begin to occur. Plaque can be avoided with flossing and brushing daily. However, a dental cleaning offers a deeper clean and helps prolong oral health.
2 Prevents Tooth Loss – Plaque can also cause gum disease which is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults. Gum disease doesn’t just affect the gums as it can go deeper into the jaw bone as well. When the jaw bone begins to get destroyed, the tooth support diminishes as well which leads toward tooth loss. Pediatric teeth cleaning helps to avoid these unwanted dental problems as your child grows older.
3. Brighten Teeth – Stains from drinking dark colored soda and juice etc can be cleaned away during teeth cleaning. Many children inadvertently stain their teeth with these substances which leave their teeth looking yellow. Routine teeth cleaning can help prevent your child’s teeth from become permanently stained.
4. Fresher Breath – Bad breath is more than what your child might have eaten that day. Bad breath is often due to disease of the gums or teeth. Other bad odors can be due to infections as well. Poor oral hygiene leads to many problems which results in bad breath. For better and fresher breath, you will want to your child to maintain proper oral health which includes regular teeth cleanings.
5. Improve Oral Health – By keeping your child’s teeth clean you will prevent infection, diseases, and tooth decay which results in healthier teeth and mouth. When teeth cleanings are done regularly, it prevents these problems alongside the accompanying examination.
6. Save Money – By preventing tooth decay, infection, or diseases, you can save money by avoiding costly procedures. Plaque is removed during every dental cleaning, which is one of the many causes of oral problems. If you don’t want the costly oral procedures and you want to save money in the long run, have your child’s teeth cleaned regularly.
Smile Reef wants to help improve and maintain your child’s oral health and that includes regular dental cleaning. If your child is overdue for teeth cleaning, contact Smile Reef. Schedule an appointment for an exam and dental cleaning to ensure you have proper oral hygiene and maintenance. Call and make an appointment with Smile Reef today!
It seems that when you take your child to the doctor for a checkup it is not big deal but when it is time to see the dentist there seems to be anxiety. For some reason the dentist gets a bad wrap when it comes to children and adults. If you ask the people that are fearful why they don’t usually have an example as to why. Something that is new can be scary for children but going into an office that works with children and offers specialized treatments to have your child feel at ease is the best way to go. There are some procedures that you want to make sure your child is ready for. This includes having a tooth extraction. This is a procedure that most people assume only need to be done when you are an adult but there are several reasons that your child may need to have a tooth pulled. It is best to talk to your child about the procedure so they are adequately ready for what is ahead.
Smile Reef Outlines the Top Reasons Your Child May Need to Have a Tooth Pulled
Tooth Trauma & Nerve Damage: Do you have an active child that gets out a lot and plays sports? This describes the majority of kids and their constant forward motion. Children love to be free and test the limits of their capabilities. Occasionally that can lead to damage as well as injury. If your child is out playing in a sport that has some contact they might get hit in the mouth. This can lead to damaging a tooth that may not be in the shape to be repaired. This is one of the reasons that a dentist may deem a tooth extraction necessary. If a tooth has been damaged too far and it is a baby tooth it is often pulled out. A spacer can be placed until the new tooth has time to grow into place.
Tooth Decay: There are some parents that are not aware how early tooth care is in a child’s life is necessary. Your child’s oral care actually starts before any teeth even show up in their mouth. You want to make sure that you massage the child’s gums and as soon as they have teeth it is time to start brushing and get into the dentist. Early oral care is a great way to prevent their teeth from suffering decay. Children are often not great at caring for their own teeth and that can leave food and other debris on their teeth. When a tooth that has been decayed too far it can lead to needing a tooth extraction.
Preparing For Braces: The other reason that a dentist may need to have a tooth pulled from a child’s mouth is as a recommendation from the orthodontist. Some mouths are too small to keep all the teeth and straighten them out. The orthodontist may need to have a tooth pulled out so that they can start their treatments.
Pediatric Tooth Extractions
Smile Reef offers expert pediatric dental services including tooth extractions. Our number one priority is to ensure that your child is comfortable and safe comfortable during all dental treatments so we offer a fun, enjoying environment and well as sedation options to help your child relax. Contact us to schedule an appointment for your child today!